Despite what you may have heard, email marketing is not dead. How do we know? Because there are approximately 4 billion daily email users around the world. Furthermore, 99% of them check their email every day. You do not get that kind of exposure from many other media types. That so many organizations don’t capitalize on email marketing is only a reflection of the fact that they do not know how to use it.
It goes without saying that some of the oldest email tactics in the book no longer work. In that regard, email isn’t all that different from the tried-and-true database. Whether it is an email list of physicians or an advanced practitioner database, things evolve over time. If you don’t keep up with that evolution, your marketing efforts are not going to be productive.
Dead Email Practices
The fact that email marketing isn’t dead doesn’t mean that some of its older practices are not. Trust us when we say that it’s no longer suitable to do some of things we used to do with email. For example, the following email practices are no longer acceptable:
- Generic Subject Lines – People receive far too much email to have to go through each one. They rely on detailed (and personal, when applicable) subject lines to tell them what an email is about. The more detailed, the better.
- Unfriendly Templates – Mobile now rules the world, even in terms of email. It is no longer acceptable to use email templates that are not mobile friendly.
- GDPR Non-compliance – Being GDPR compliant is no longer an option. Mail recipients must have the option to stop receiving your communications. That action must be clearly visible and easily accessible.
Doing email marketing the right way gets results. Doing it the wrong way only dooms your marketing team to continually sending out worthless emails that get no response.
How to Do It Right
Is your organization hoping to use email as a healthcare recruiting tool? Do you use email to market to healthcare facilities, individual clinicians, product manufacturers, etc.? Whether you’re trying to fill the seats at your next CME event, or you want to let advanced practice nurses know about your latest innovation in healthcare, email is a valuable tool for doing so.
Here is how you do it right:
- Target Your Audience – Successful email marketing starts with targeting your audience. That is where something like our advanced practice nurse database comes into play. Targeting the right audience increases response rates by eliminating the temptation to send messages to people who aren’t likely to respond.
- Customized Campaigns – Even with the most accurate medical databases facilitating audience targeting, email marketing only works when it’s based on customized campaigns. Each campaign must have a purpose behind it. It must have goals and a way to measure whether they are achieved.
- Focused Messaging – Successful email marketing has focused messaging as its foundation. Recipients will read and act on your emails if you provide information that is useful and relevant. Make sure your messaging is focused. Do not bore recipients with information they aren’t interested in.
Email marketing is not dead. Do it the right way and it can reap very impressive results. For more information about our medical email marking solutions, don’t hesitate to reach out our team. iMedical Data knows how to put email marketing to work for your organization, powered by our unparalleled databases and qualified, first-party data. We have the means to help your organization reach your targeted audiences where they are, and in a way they have said they want to be contacted.